Thursday, June 24, 2010

Step Three

Step Three in AA's program of recovery is...

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

I'm going to break down this step as it is worked by three different groups of people.

1) People who believe in God and are ready to turn things over to God.

2) People who believe in God and are willing to turn things over to God at a later time.

3) Those who do not believe in God.

If one believes in God and is ready to turn their will and life over to God then that can be done with a simple prayer. The wording is optional as long as it is clear and to the point - the person saying the prayer asks for God to take control of their life and the will is surrendered to God.

Here is the third step prayer from page 63 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

God, I offer myself to Thee-

To build with me

and to do with me as Thou wilt.

Relieve me of the bondage of self,

that I may better do Thy will.

Take away my difficulties,

that victory over them may bear witness

to those I would help of Thy Power,

Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.

May I do Thy will always!

Again, the wording can be changed around. It is the sincerity that counts.

For those who believe in God but are not quite ready to turn one's life over to Him yet simply need to make a decision to do so, as the step states. The actual turning over happens in step seven. That prayer can be found on page 76 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

My Creator,

I am now willing that you should have all of me,

good and bad.

I pray that you now remove from me

every single defect of character which stands in the way

of my usefulness to you and my fellows.

Grant me strength, as I go out from here,

to do your bidding.

Amen

As mentioned earlier, the wording can be personalized as long as one is sincere.

The third group we mentioned - those who do not believe in God. These people are just as likely as anyone else to acheive and maintain sobriety. There always has been, and still are, many atheists and agnostics in AA. The program works just as well - regardless of one's beliefs.

For the above mentioned group the Higher Power can be many things, some may use the AA group as their Higher Power while others may use Love or their Inner Higher Self. As long as it makes sense to the person and they really believe in this Higher Power it can work well.  One's life and will is turned over just the same.  The principle is this; we get out of the driver's seat and allow a greater power to lead us to a better life.