Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some People Just Can't Shut Up

I've been in AA for over a quarter of a century and I have seen all types. I've seen big ones and little ones, short ones and tall ones, old ones and young ones, and quiet ones and big mouth ones. Trust me, the last ones I mentioned are the most irritating. Some people just don't know when to shut up.

In my humble opinion if a person speaks more than five minutes at a meeting that person is not only selfish for taking so much time, but they apparently love to hear themselves talk. They need to just shut up.

I realize sometimes people have things to get off their chest. I totally get that - been there, done that. I also know that is what a sponsor or friend is for. Yes, we all have a right to share at meetings, and it is good for us and everyone else when we do, unless we take up so much time that some who want to share don't get to. That is when it crosses the line.

I guess the real reason it bothers me so much is that every meeting seems to have at least one jerk who thinks he/she is an expert on recovery and shoots off their mouth for a good ten minutes at each and every meeting they attend and the newcomers think they are the "voice of AA."

Usually it is the assholes who won't shut up who really need to be listening. I guess that is why they never really learned about humility - because they were so busy talking that they missed that part.

Okay I got that off my chest. Too bad those loud mouth jerks don't know about blogging. It would be much easier on the rest of us.