Thursday, June 17, 2010

AA - A Selfish Program

I have heard many times over the years that AA is a selfish program. Of course what that means is that we need to make the AA program the most important thing in our life and focus on our recovery if we want to obtain and maintain our sobriety.

Some people have a hard time understanding this and waste far too much time on trying to be a totally unselfish person, thinking they are living by AA principles. While we are supposed to learn to think of others (in fact our lives depend on it) our sobriety must come first - and that is why it is called a selfish program.

I'm glad I learned that lesson early on. I don't think I would be here today had I not learned that my sobriety must come first. Yes, AA is a selfish program, but while we are selfishly holding onto our sobriety we must unselfishly do what we can to be of help to others. Just another AA paradox.