Monday, June 28, 2010

Step Seven

Step seven in AA's program of recovery is...

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

We all have shortcomings (or defects of character as they are called in the previoius step), and when we took our inventory in the fourth step we focused on these shortcomings. We talked about them in step five. Hopefully we decided in step six that we are ready to have them removed. This is where we actually ask God to remove them.

The seventh step prayer can be found on page 76 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

My Creator,

I am now willing that you should have all of me,

good and bad.

I pray that you now remove from me

every single defect of character which stands in the way

of my usefulness to you and my fellows.

Grant me strength, as I go out from here,

to do your bidding.

Amen

The wording can be personalized as long as the prayer is said sincerely.