Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Good And Bad Of Meetings

At this morning's meeting someone mentioned that there are people in AA who like to run things and push their agenda on everyone else. Of course a name or two popped into my head immediately but I did not mention them. I just reminded everyone that the ego maniacs and power seekers have always been a part of our fellowship and always will be.

Several people mentioned that they do not go to certain meetings because of these people. Fortunately in my area there are many meetings to go to and we can pick and choose. That is one thing good I can say about AA in our area. Even though we don't have the quality I wish we had, at least we do have variety. For that I'm grateful.

When I go to meetings I'm not going just for myself. I'm going looking for someone who is willing to learn. I'm always willing to share my experience, strength and hope with someone who really wants to hear it. That is the true spirit of AA - reaching out a helping hand to the few who really are wanting a life free of alcohol, not just a meeting to go to.